Latest News for Mission and Peacemaking
Join the Mission Team on April 17, during coffee hour, to assemble Aids Kits! Bring your coffee and meet in Dining Hall!
Mission and Peacemaking
Moreland’s Mission and Peacemaking Ministry is to care for those in need and to provide the congregation with opportunities to practice generosity and to experience the abundance of Christian life. Mission does this in a variety of ways—
- by distributing funds designated by Session for charitable giving,
- by receiving special monetary and in-kind contributions for particular charitable activities;
- by assisting with three specials offerings organized by our national organization; and
- by overseeing distribution of funds from the Paul and Sally McCracken Endowment.
Mission seeks out ways to collaborate with our neighbors and other charitable agencies to advance community well being, with the goal of offering Morelanders of all ages the opportunity to experience the joy of giving—
1) Through a collaboration with JOIN, we have opened a small shelter which houses a single woman and her children.
2) Our backpack program with Rotary and neighboring Holy Family church provides around 40 children with food for non-school days.
3) Families assemble kits of supplies to assist AIDS volunteers, in cooperation with World Vision.
4) We work with our Children’s Ministry team and church neighbors to collect perishable food for FISH.
5) We provide Christmas gifts and a party for disadvantaged children through our local Boys and Girls Club.
6) With Transition Projects, we fill barrels with clothing, toiletries, towels, and bedding for the homeless.
7) We provide monthly meals for homeless men at the Transition Projects’ downtown center.
8) We support Outside In, a service for homeless youth; this year we sponsored a fundraising dinner which included neighborhood parent speakers on the subject of their child’s over dose death and suicide and how it has effect them. Outside In counselors also presented information.
9) We support a local Boy Scout troop.
10) Other groups and individuals in the church create and execute their own charitable endeavors, apart from Mission-sponsored activities.
2016 McCracken Grant Application
2015 McCracken Grant Awarded
- Dress For Success
- CARES Northwest
- Bradly Angle
- Human Solutions
- New City Initiative